Table of Contents
The meaning of RC Car Scales Sizes Explained
By Joe Rich
RC scales refers to the size of the model car 1:10 is the most popular and 1:5 scale is the largest. The higher the second number the smaller the model and vies versa the lower the second number the bigger the model
You already know that radio controlled cars or RC, for short, are miniature vehicles that are modelled after full-size automobiles. They come in different scale sizes. So what do RC car scale sizes mean– assuming that you’re shopping for your first RC car and you need details to make informed decision based on scale sizes.
We have an article What is the largest RC car scale click here if you would like to read it.
What are the scales of RC cars?
Radio Control (RC) cars come in various sizes and scales. The most common scale for RC cars is 1/10th, which generally stands for one-tenth the size of a full-scale car. However, there are other sizes such as 1/8th, 1/7th, 1/6th and even smaller which can be used to construct an accurate miniature version of a real car. Knowing your car’s scale is important when purchasing or customizing parts as they should match the scale of your car. Additionally, different scales are suitable for different terrains and speeds – so it’s best to pick the right scale based on where you will be driving your RC car.
RC Car scales definition
RC car scales is the size of the radio controlled car’s model in comparison to the actual car or the full-size version in your garage or parking lot.
If you’re into race cars, for example, you may want a radio-controlled car that’s modelled after a Ferrari or a Jaguar race car.
For example, an A1:10 Indy Formula 1 RC is ten times smaller than the actual car on the race track.
The idea behind the scale sizes is to shape your mental picture on how big or small the RC car is. A 1:43 scale model measures between 3.5 to 5 inches in length.
A 1:24 and a 1:12 model are approximately 5 to 8 inches and 14 to 16 inches respectively.
Therefore, the lower the ratio, the smaller the difference, in size, between the RC automobile and the car’s actual version.
This means that you should go for a model with a higher ratio such as 1:43 if you want a smaller RC car and lower ratio such as 1:12 if you want a bigger one.
RC Car scales and choice
Choosing the right scale for your RC car is an important decision as it will determine what type of terrain and speed you can handle. The most common scale is 1/10th. However, there are other sizes such as 1/8th, 1/7th, and even smaller that can provide an accurate miniature version of a real car.
When selecting the right scale for your RC car, consider where you will be using it, as well as how much speed you want to achieve. In general, bigger scales are better suited for faster speeds on flatter terrain while smaller scales are more appropriate for slow speeds on uneven surfaces. Additionally, different parts like tires and shocks should also match your chosen scale in order to obtain maximum performance from your RC vehicle.
Ultimately, picking the best RC car scale requires understanding your desired outcome – whether that’s just casual driving or entry into larger racing events – and doing research on the parts and accessories available for whatever size you choose.
- 4×4 1:10 High Speed Rc Car: This 4 wheels drive high speed RC racing car is equipped with high quality and durable components. The cool design of the car shell that you will be the focus of the people and also a transparent car shell is presented for free. Imagine and design, DIY your own unique car shell! With LED Headlights that driving unobstructed even at night. It is the best choice for any level monster RC trucks enthusiast.
- 2 Rechargeable Batteries Bring Longer Play Fun: Different from the conventional remote control car, equipped with a high-quality battery which is better than normal batteries.TWO 7.4V/1700mAh high-quality rechargeable batteries, you can enjoy the fun of driving for about 40+ mins a time (20+ min for each battery) which depends on the operation.
- Proportional Throttle & Steering Control: Equipped with a 2.4GHz full-scale synchronous remote control system and can proportional controlled to throttle and speed. Very easily! Adjust the speed switch clockwise to increase driving speed, and adjust the speed switch counterclockwise to decrease the driving speed. Adjust the driving direction of the wheels through the steering trim. Suit for beginner and advanced user to easily controlled within a range of up to 100M (330ft).
- With Metal Oil-filled Shock Absorbers: The four wheels are all packed with the Metal Oil-Filled Shocks(need to fill the oil by yourself). Allow you to drive the remote control car in all terrains like beach, sand, rock, or concrete road. It can protect the electronic components inside the car body, make you enjoy the toy car for a longer period of time.
- Best Gift Ideas For Kids: This RC car develops children’s interest and imagination. DEERC 1/10 scale large high speed RC car is the best gift for both kids and adults. The perfect 4WD racing toy is a must-have for boys, girls, adults, and off road-lovers! Racing with your family or friends indoor and outdoor.
- ✅【1:10 Large Size & Led Head&Tail Light 】 The 1:10 scale full proportional rc monster truck is equipped with a Headlight & Taillight, making you remote control car cool attactive and more playable even in the deep night; the RC Cars four wheels consist of bouncing spring materials which give support to unexpected dropping and the unstable surface of the ground, make your children enjoy the high speed rc off road car for a longer period of time;
- ✅【48+km/h(30+MPH) Amazingly Fast & 2 Different Speed Mode】The max speed of rc electric cars is up to 48+km/h(30+MPH),which is comparable to brushless performance; off road rc car can go both off-road and on-road environments with has full speed and half speed mode, It is for children of different ages, when kids are small, you can use half speed mode (24km/h)to avoid damage;
- ✅【2 Packs 1600mAH Batteries & 2 RC Car Shell Body】— The High Speed Remote Control Cars Come with 2 New Batteries, The 7.4V Rechargeable Battery Pack features a high capacity rating of 1600mAh. the rc trucks for boys and adults will run for up to 30-40 minutes at a time!The Additional DIY CAR SHELL BODY for you to inspire your imagination to make your own customized car truck;
- ✅【6 Upgraded Oil Filled Shocks & Metal Body】— the full proportional remote control monster trucks, all metal sealed ball Bearing and the oil filLed metal shocks special designed for tough environments and any rugged roads. compare with ABS Plastic gear, the rc trucks built in Aluminum Differential & Metal Main Drive Shaft steel structure to make the rc car more durable, a Truly hobby model Level RC truck;
- ✅【2.4Ghz Accurate System & Water Resistance】— The hobby rc car transmitter with a range of up to 80m/262 ft and 2.4Ghz highly responsive steering and throttle, you can racer with your friends or kids at the same time.furthermore, The rc trucks 4×4 off-road waterproof is equipped with 3-wires high torque servo which provides higher accuracy and better fixed power,stable,low noise and fast response!
- 🏍【1:10 Large Super Fast Rc Car】: The scale of rc trucks currently in the market is about 1:18 and 1:16. To make our remote control cars more realistic, we increased the size of the vehicle to a 1:10 scale.The rc truck for adults is equipped with a powerful brushed motor that can make its speed reach 46+km/h. With 4WD drive mode,this remote control truck can drive on all terrains to bring you the most realistic RC racing car experience.
- 🏍【Durable and Upgraded Metal Drive Shaft】: The 4wd rc car is equipped with metal drive shaft and shock-absorber suspension system.Compared with the plastic drive lever on the market, our alloy drive shafts are more durable, and the front & rear of the body has strong anti-collision bumpers.Whether it is speeding, collision or rollover, it has strong collision resistance and solid shock-proof car body. And It protect the toy car from damage in accidents or unexpected droppings.
- 🏍【2 Batteries & 1 Extra Shell】: This monster trucks for boys come with two 7.4V/1600mAh high-capacity rechargeable batteries and two charging cables.The rc cars for boys age 8-12 will run for up to 15 minutes for each battery. 2 batteries for 30 minutes running! (It depends on your operating time).It brings you double the uninterrupted racing fun. With 2 different colors of cool body shells, you can choose as you like and feel different off road rc car experiences.
- 🏍【Excellent Non-Jamming & IPX4 Waterproof】: The 2.4GHz remote controller has a fast response speed without delay.It can control the remote control monster truck sensitively whether it is indoors or outdoors and it has an anti-interference function.It also has IPX4 waterproof performance. It is not afraid of harsh environments. You can drive on all terrains such as beaches, rocks or concrete roads. Note that the monster truck toy cannot be immersed in water.
- 🏍【Perfect Birthday & Christmas Gifts】: This remote control car for adults has 4 sturdy tires.Hobby rc cars will bring you extraordinary game fun and an excellent experience. Aufitker 1/10 scale large high speed rc car is the best birthday and Christmas gifts for boy & kids over 8-12 years old, adults and off-road enthusiasts. And for more detailed information, please refer to our product instruction manual.
Size and styles
You want an RC car that reflects your lifestyle.
A track race enthusiast would go for a car that’s designed for speed.
If you’re into heavy commercial vehicles, then long chase trailers and break-down versions are likely to tickle your fancy.
Choose your first RC car from a range that can handle rough terrains if you’re into outdoor activities.
Imagine having fun with the 1:10 and the 1:8 models at the peak of a mountain that you’ve always thought of climbing.
There is no limit to life-style related choices in the world of RC cars.
Which is the best power option for each scale
As you make your pick, consider the model’s power supply delivery method.
Electrically powered RC cars are economical since they are rechargeable.
For a 1/8 scale RC car, electric power is the best option as it is lightweight and can reach higher speeds than other power sources. Nitro or gas-powered RC cars are also available, but they tend to be heavier and more difficult to handle. For a 1/10 scale RC car, nitro or gas-powered engines offer good performance for racing and stunts. Cars with standard electric motors can also work well for smaller scales, but you may find them underpowered for certain activities.
Gasoline and Nitro powered RC car models
Nitro methane is the most outstanding feature in nitro powered RC vehicles.
Many of the big top-models utilize a single servo throttle.
The idea behind this is to open up the carburettor to allow the air to mix with the fuel for superior acceleration purposes.
Their brakes are usually an attachment to the drift-shaft to make the braking system reliable.
Nitro powered cars usually operate like full-sized vehicles.
Also known as “gassers” or “fuelers” gasoline RC cars utilize a combination of gasoline and engine oil.
They are not the fastest breed of RC cars in comparison to the electric and the nitro versions.
Nevertheless, they have an upside since they can do long distance rides carrying heavy equipment.
This can be machine guns or cameras depending on whether the RC car is being used for military or exploration purposes.
Gassers are also the most durable of all the RC car models.
It’s advisable to go for the 1:5 scales gasoline RC cars because they are big enough to carry bigger fuel tanks to extend the number of hours that it can keep on the track without refills.
These version of RC cars were costly a couple of decades ago but tech advancements in the industry have made them more affordable.
We have an article What is the best 1:5 scale RC car click here if you would like to read it.
- 【1:10 Large Scale Size Drift Car】1:10 Scale big size and full proportional super-fast Drift Car,extra large capacity leak proof fuel tank with the overflow pipe and spring load fill cover for quick re-filling, make you enjoy the toy car for a longer period of time.Independent suspension,6061/T6 solid anodized alum chassis, Oil filled shocks, Solid universal joint cup/high performance ball bearings complete.
- 【4-Wheel Drive RC Car】Realistic drift car body, Hard drift tires, Shaft drove 4 Wheel drive. The four wheels will give support to unexpected dropping and the unstable surface of the ground, make you enjoy the toy car for a longer period of time.
- 【65km/h Amazingly Fast】13.8g super-light-weight flywheel.The max speed is up to 65km/h.Pre-trimmed V-tread durable tires, which let you go both off-road and on-road environments.Extra large capacity leak proof fuel tank with the overflow pipe and spring load fill cover for quick re-filling.Fibreglass Disc brake system with user replaceable pads provides quick brake response.
- 【2.4Ghz Accurate System & 2 Different Speed Mode】With a range of up to 100m/338 ft and 2.4Ghz highly responsive steering and throttle, you can racer with your friends or kids at the same time.furthermore, the RC car has two speed transmission version,which made you enjoy the different speed.
- 【 Safer and Stronger】Pre-trimmed V-tread durable tires with oil-filled shock-absorbing springs and premium shock absorbers provide excellent shock protection. Parts are upgradeable and user-serviceable. If you are looking for an exciting and extra cool present, then you will love this racing car, allows you to easily win in a game with friends.
If you are about to start out in this great hobby it is probably best to start of with a electric 1:10 scale car.
As you progress and your skill in control and the knowledge of the practical mechanics grow you will be able to move up to the large scale nitro and gassers.
The best 8 RC car makers with a bit of history.
Can you take a RC car on a plane.
5 Ways to make your electric RC car go faster
What is the difference between Toy grade and Hobby grade RC car.